Monday, April 24, 2006

Dekker Gambit


Since 1998, I have been playing a certain variation against the Najdorf that very pleased with. As discussed later, while I am not the first person to play this opening, the idea was original to me and nobody has attempted to name the opening before. This is the story of how I came up with the variation.

One day I was playing blitz with a chess friend of mine, Hans Steyn. At that time, Hans was trying out the Schevenengin (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e6) to which I was invariably playing the Keres attack (6.g4) which results in a superb attacking game for both players. Well, during one game, Hans threw in 5...a6 (the Najdorf) instead of the expected 5...e6. On autopilot, I continued with 6.g4 and we both found, to our mutual surprise, what wonderful positions arise from this move.

Over the next few weeks, I experimented with the move in a few blitz games as well as looking at the positions at home. Feeling confident that this was a playable move, well suited to my style, I essayed the move in a serious game for the first time on 05 July 1998. The tournament was the South African Open (held in Pretoria that year) and my opponent was Robert Mills, a former junior star in South Africa. After a very interesting struggle, Robert did win the game. Taking on the lessons from that game, I again played it against Robert in early 1999. Having improved the placement of the pieces (advancing the "theory"), I won this game and subsequently got it published in the November 1998 CHESS Monthly magazine.

The Dekker Gambit moves are: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.g4!? White should expect 6...Bxg4 7.f3 when Black can choose between 7...Bd7 and 7...Bh5. I consider the latter to be the better move.

Initially, the gambit looks crazy, but White achieves some important counterplay:
a) The g-file is opened for a rook on g1;
b) The f3 pawn supports the centre e4 pawn and frees the Nc3 from its defence;
c) White has easy development choices, targeting the kingside or queenside (eg. the weakness on b6);
d) Psycology: Black is immediately out-of-book and besides which must withstand an easy-to-play attack.

It is true, it must be stressed, that the Dekker Gambit is probably not 100% sound. This is not in the sense that Black is winning, but that with best play Black reaches an endgame with slightly better chances and a draw will probably be the result. Against committed and accurate play by White, however, Black must withstand sustained pressure where White enjoys enormous fluidity. Since 1998, I have played the Dekker Gambit in well over a hundred games, winning the vast majority of them.

Interesting post-scripts: In 2005 I went to a book signing of "My Great Predecessors" by Gary Kasparov in London. While signing my book, I had the opportunity, very briefly, to discuss the opening with one of the greatest Najdorf exponents ever. "What do you think of 6.g4!? in the Najdorf, Mr Kasparov?" I asked. "Ahh I've seen this" Kasparov answered to my surprise, "but it isn't so good". He then proceeded to rattle out around a 12 move variation which I gathered involved ...Bd7 and ...g6 and ...Bg7. Who am I to argue with the great one? But...I'll still play the DG on very possible occasion. My heart lights up, I cannot help smiling and the lust for battle is aroused when I see 5...a6!

2nd interesting note: I have subsequently found that I am *not* the first to play 6.g4, though I do believe I am the first to claim naming rights for the opening. I certainly came up with the opening idea myself. The other games can be found on the on-line database at www.chessbase.com and are:
Padevsky, Nikola - Petrosian, Tigran (0-1) 1965
Ciocaltea, Victor - Vaisman, Volodia (1-0) 1967
Navas, Miguel Angel - Mansilla, Raul Oscar (0-1) 1998
Peters, Charles William - McGary, Fred (0-1) 1999
Fargnoli, Rodrigo Veloso - Gonzalez, Bolivar Ribe (0-1) 2002
Wieczorek, Oskar - Mertens, Fridolin (1-0) 2002
The quality of the above games is generally quite poor, though the Fargnoli game is to be recommended.

Players interested in receiving a database of good quality DG games, are free to contact me at abdekker@fsmail.net and follow the anti-spam instructions in the replying email. I'd be most interested in any comments, players who try the opening, criticisms or attempted refutations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home